WHAT ARE THE GOLD AWARDS ?
The Wellington Gold Awards in association with The Dominion Post celebrate excellence and enterprise of businesses in the Wellington Region.
Since being established in 1999, they have become an eagerly anticipated event on the corporate and social calendar.
Each year the Gold Awards have grown in size and stature.
We have witnessed Wellington transform herself from a grey civil service town to a hive of entrepreneurial activity and home to some world-class businesses and events.
The Gold Awards are successful because:
• they highlight the vital contribution that business makes to our region
• high-quality businesses are involved - both as Sponsors and Entrants
• the quality of competition and the judging process means that participation and success have real value to businesses that enter
• they bring together private and public sector organisations across all industry sectors in a feel-good night of celebration
• it’s a fun night out and a great event!
The Wellington Gold Awards are a showcase of our business talent and capability and are a way of paying tribute to those who are building our community.
The Gold Awards are held annually in TSB Arena, Wellington and are attended by 900 or so guests, including Members of Parliament, the region’s Mayors and many business leaders.
The Gold Awards are open to businesses in the Greater Wellington Region.
The 2020 Gold Awards have been postponed due to the Covid-19 Lockdown. We will announce the new date as soon as the government confirms the end of the Lockdown or allows indoor gatherings of any size.
Generally, Entries open in mid-February each year. This kicks off a 5-month programme from gathering the entries over the 2 rounds of judging and the Finalists Announcement in May, until the awards night in early July.
The Wellington Gold Awards have 8 main industry Categories and 2 Best Practice Awards, as follows:
INDUSTRY CATEGORIES x 8:
• CREATIVE GOLD ~ film, media & creative content
• CYBER GOLD ~ technology creators
• INNOVATION GOLD ~ inventive new products & processes
• EMERGING GOLD PRODUCTS ~ small businesses, 10 or fewer staff
• EMERGING GOLD SERVICES ~ small businesses, 10 or fewer staff
• GLOBAL GOLD exporters
• SUPPORTING GOLD ~ infrastructure & professional services providers
• VIBRANT GOLD ~ events, hospitality & tourism facilities
BEST PRACTICE CATEGORIES x 2
• GREEN GOLD ~ sustainability practices & products
• TEAM GOLD ~ investment in people, HR & wellness programmes
Businesses can choose to enter one of the top 8 Industry Categories, as well as one, both (or neither) of the Best Practice Categories.
Or the can just enter one or both of the 2 Best Practice Categories.
You can view the winners in each category since 1999 here...
HOW ARE THEY JUDGED?
The Judging process is as follows:
1. Nominations and Entries are sought via The Dominion Post advertising and a general Entry Drive.
2. All Entrants select the Category best suited to their organisation and submit an Entry document based on the Entry Guidelines. They may also choose to enter one, two or all three of the Best Practice Awards.
3. In Round 1 the 35 Gold Awards Judges assess the entries in each Category and independently select their top 5. The Judges selections are then collated to determine the Finalists in each Category.
4. The Finalists Entry Forms then go into Round 2 to be reassessed. The Judges rate them against each other to determine the Winner of each Category.
5. The Judges also select the Winner of the supreme award - The Dominion Post Wellington Gold Award.
This whole process takes about 20 weeks, with the Finalists being announced about 6 weeks before the event at a Finalists Announcement Function.
WHO ELSE IS INVOLVED?
The Wellington Gold Awards are effective because leading businesses have supported the concept from the outset. This Private/Public sector partnership is one of the most successful characteristics of the Gold Awards.
The Dominion Post, as lead sponsor, give extensive advertising as well as editorial coverage across the whole Gold Awards process, from the time of nominations, entries, through the Finalists Announcement, to the event itself.
The Dominion Post leads a group of committed businesses in championing our local business heroes.
The 4 cities of Wellington: Hutt City, Upper Hutt City, Porirua City and Wellington City were inaugural partners. More recently they were joined by the South Wairarapa District Council, Masterton District Council, Carterton District Councils and the Greater Wellington Regional Council.
We are very proud to have long term corporate partners in PwC, Beca, ACC, ANZ, Meredith Connell and Downer.
High-quality entrants are the lifeblood of any awards. Each year over 300 businesses are nominated across the 11 categories. These are distilled down to almost 100 entries from which the 11 winners and a supreme winner are chosen.
The quality and range of Entrants since 1999 (as demonstrated in the Winners List) is essential to the event. We applaud all of the businesses who step forward each year and take the time to enter the Gold Awards.
From the global brands like Weta Digital and Weta Workshop, Icebreaker, Xero, Trilogy, Pukeko Pictures, phil&teds, Ata Rangi, Volpara and Wedgelock.
Then there are the more localised heroes: Boomrock, WoW, Matterhorn, Tuatara Brewing, Tranzit Group, The NZ Festival, Wings over Wairarapa, Te Papa and all the others that make the Wellington region tick.
The Wellington Gold Awards were set up to inspire others and tell the many stories, some that may otherwise go untold.
The Judges are another vital ingredient of the Gold Awards.
Thirty or so business and community leaders make up the group that decide the Winners. This ‘peer evaluation’ makes the process both robust and of real value to the winners.
Each Judge also assesses all the entries independently, eliminating any of the lobbying or pressure that can sometimes occur with judging panels.
ANY MORE QUESTIONS?